It's The MOST Wonderful Time Of The Year!

Yes, Christmas is over and now we enter what I deem the MOST wonderful time of the year! The madness of shopping, cleaning, cooking, decorating, entertaining, being entertained, spending all your money and just general STRESS is over. Now we can just sit back and enjoy a few days of peace and harmony. Everyone is busy with new toys and gizmos. My decorations are still twinkling and I seem to enjoy them much more now that the hustle and bustle is over. The house is relatively clean from having everyone over Christmas Eve so I don't feel pressured to be up and doing something. I'm completely broke so there's no question of going out for some after Christmas shopping. One word sums it all up for me: PEACE!

Don't get me wrong. I love Christmas, contrary to what my previous post may sound like. This year has been a little melancholy for me, but a few days ago I had a heart to heart with God and He filled me with a calming peace and placed the following verse in my heart. "To everything there is a season and a time to every purpose under Heaven." Ecclesiastes 3:1 You see I'd been having a little pity party of one, me, because I was lamenting the fact that my babies are growing up and Christmas just seemed less "magical" for us this year. I missed the days of buying real toys and not expensive games and electronics. I missed the eager anticipation of Santa's arrival, replaced this year by knowing winks and raised eyebrows between my two oldest when the jolly old elf was mentioned. I just missed the past. After a tearful talk with God I came to the realization that Christmas never was meant to be "magical". It's true intention is to celebrate the birth of our Savior and remember the love and sacrifice that He freely gave so we could have eternal life. There is nothing "magical" about that. That's just plain, old fashioned true love!

My problem came when I began subscribing to the world's view of what Christmas was all about. The world thinks the reason for the season is to spend all of your money and stress yourself out in an endless search for the perfect present. Attend as many functions as you can possibly squeeze in just so you can be in the holiday spirit. Be utterly beside yourself with joy and abandon for the space of about 4-5 weeks, depending on when Thanksgiving falls and then boom! It's December 26th, back to the grind. For my entire adult life this is how I've celebrated Christmas. Beyond a momentary pause to think of Christ and His birth my mind was much more preoccupied with the "show" of Christmas. Many years I have spent the holidays secretly depressed because I was unable to give as much to others as they gave to me. I sat and watched family open presents and was silently ashamed of my "little" gifts in comparison to the overwhelming generosity they had bestowed upon me, Kevin and the kids. I was never truly happy, but I tried to put on a good front. Inside I was tormented that what I gave wasn't good enough. No matter how much thought I put into the gift I personally measured it's worth in dollars. There was no way I could compete though. With one income we just didn't have the money to give exhorbitantly at the holidays.

This Christmas season began with the same feelings of depression and inadequacy rearing their heads in my heart. We have been blessed beyond measure and after years of receiving so much I desparately wanted to give back to those I loved. As usual the money just wasn't there. Moping around with a scowl on my face I'd finally given in to the possibility that I should just embrace my inner Grinch and be done with it. Then came my talk with God. The verse I quoted above quelled my terrible sadness at my children growing up. Every stage of their growing up is a season and for every season in our lives there is a purpose. They can't stay babies forever nor would I want them to. But, the verse opened my eyes up to the fact that the "season" they are now in is prime time to be planting God's word in their hearts and that is something I've sadly neglected. My new purpose was made quite clear to me. I need to focus my energy on getting my family spiritually fit. This involves a complete makeover of my own heart and attitude so I can be an example for them. The second revelation that God gave me that day was that the greatest gift I was ever given was His son, Jesus Christ. Regardless of what I do, say or think I can NEVER match that gift. Here I was feeling lowly and inadequate because I couldn't give more in the way of materialistic gifts. I secretly felt that people thought I was cheap or didn't care as much about them because I didn't buy them expensive things. They didn't. Just like Jesus they loved me for me, not for what I bought them. And when I thought I had nothing worthwile to give, I had actually been holding the greatest gift of all right in my heart. I have the chance to share the love of Jesus and what He gave so we could have eternal life. I can give the gift of compassion and mercy; patience and love. By letting God's love shine thorough me I can share the greatest gift of all, Him!

So now I have quite a different view of Christmas. My goal for the new year is to keep the spirit of Christmas in my heart year round. To always give the most precious gift I've been given by sharing the good news of Jesus with all I meet. To keep my heart in the right place by keeping God in it so that my life reflects His joy and love. Of course I still love the "magic" of Christmas. I'll still decorate and shop and Santa will still visit. But, now I have all of those things in perspective. While they are a fun and memorable part of Christmas they are by no means the true reason for the season and I will never let those reasons dictate my happiness again!

2 comments:

  1. You're killing me with your emotional posts. Your words are beautiful though and I agree with you wholeheartedly. I think that's the reason so very many people say each year "I"m just not into it, Something isn't right" They don't realize that it's their heart that isn't right and their focus that's skewed. (myself included)

    I've spent more time recently being thankful than ever before, finally (after much much much battle of wills between myself and God) trusting more than ever before. I hope to keep that same kind of thankfulness and trust through the days to come.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so right. You give everyone in your life the best gift they could ever wish for - the beautiful you !!!. I am so proud to call you my best friend. I love your blog but still love you more. Big smile & hug.

    Paula

    ReplyDelete