A Gentle Place

God, in His own perfect timing, has set in my heart the desire to create a home from the house that we've lived in for almost 14 years. You see, I have quite the creative little spirit. I just love to write and plan and dream. But when it comes to nesting and making my home all warm and huggy, well let's just say that the chicken has flown the coop. Heck, who am I kidding, that bird never came to roost in the first place.

I've never been known for my organizational skills, ability to plan much past the next five minutes or good housekeeping skills. It's never been my desire to peruse the home decorating stores or create dream books of my favorite home ideas. Nope, I'd rather just curl up on my non-Febreezed couch with a good book and while away the hours. Our house has over the years became rather bedraggled with the neglect and lack of love given to it. Kind of like the ugly step-child or something. For years I've explained my poor ability or more truthfully lack of desire to do anything about it on my free spirit. We just are who we are I would say. This is home. We live here so it looks lived in. For many years this sat well with me, but in the past few weeks all has not been well with my soul.

As I have begun digging out from under the dirt and debris that has covered my heart and my walk with God I have begun to see rays of sunshine here and there. I'll see a picture or read an article and suddenly my heart will swell up and say "Hey, you could do that to your home." With much thanks to my friend Lindsey who does fabulous things to her home as evidenced by the beautiful pictures she posts, I have started visiting some of the blogs that she follows. I have become entranced, enraptured, enthralled with the beauty I have found. These bloggers are mostly mom and wives, just like me. A whole lot of them don't have tons of money. Many of them shop at Goodwill and yardsales and breathe new life into found treasures with a .99 can of white spray paint and a good eye. I have become inspired to change not only my life, but the life of my home as well.

A journey now stands before me that I would have once turned away from. It will be long and it will be hard. Many old habits will have to be broken and a lot of new ones will have to take their place. At times I will fall and may even be tempted to turn back to my free spirited ways. But I will not take my eyes off the prize. The destination I am headed for is peace. Peace in not only my spirit, but in my home as well. I desire to provide for my precious family the gift of peace. A clean and beautiful place to run to when the world is unkind and ugly. A haven to cling to when chaos chases us unrelentlessly. My heart nearly bursts with the desire to give them peace, a gentle place to love and be loved, a place to just be.

7 comments:

  1. Welcome back to the bloggy world, you were very missed. I love to read what you write, you do it so beautifully. The new color pattern you chose here is cute too, love it. With all the blue and green in my life these days, I'm missing me some pink. ;) Our house has become clutter central over the last few months. I still have some Christmas stuff sitting on the dining room table, shhhh..... don't tell anyone! If I can keep the bathrooms & kitchen cleaned, I try to overlook the rest. It's sad when my poor hubby starts picking up things and putting them where they go, his least favorite thing to do in the world. Have fun on your new decorating path!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Monica. I love the way you write you truly have a talent. I am a lot like you. Lately I have been really trying hard to keep on top of all of the things there are to do with just keeping a home clean and tidy. I have to declutter everyday it seems. You are going to have to post some pictures of some of the things you do. I would like to see them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! I have been missing you in bloggy world! I am so happy for you that you are inspired to make your house more "homey" and warm. I LOVE to help others decorate on a dime..I have actually helped Beth Brantley decorate many rooms in her house. If you ever want some help or ideas, let me know...I would be tickled to help!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I put the link up for where I got the instructions for painting my cabinent, let me know if you have more questions!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Misty, you were one of my giveaway winners! Would you email me your address so I can mail you your prizes? I hope you and your family are having a terrific weekend!
    Lindsey
    llanghans@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's amazing how decorating a home can bring so much peace...that's why I think women who manage their homes are called 'HOME-makers'. You need to post pictures of your journey!
    Thanks for visiting my blog today!:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I actually remembered to take pictures of the living room before it is painted this weekend. I'll post a before and after in the next couple of weeks. I am SO excited to be working towards a beautiful home.

    ReplyDelete