This is officially my first Wednesday's Walk post. I happened upon a wonderful blogger and this is one of her efforts to record memories for her family. Each Wednesday we post a favorite memory from the past or one that has just taken place. At the end of the year we'll have a wonderful gift to pass along to our children. It's like an online journal I suppose. So here goes my first attempt.

Today I visited a nice little blog called Expecting a Surprise at http://www.hoekstrabettig.blogspot.com/ and she had a music gadget that was toodling some sweet little spring tunes. One of the songs that played was Tooralorah by Kenny Loggins. The minute I heard the first strains of this precious melody I was transported back nearly 14 years ago.

We had just moved into our brand new home. At the time there were just the three of us, me, Kevin and little Skye. She had just turned one and this was our first real house. We had spent the previous two years in a small, cozy apartment. Our first few months in the new house were a little scary. It was a wonderful feeling to own our very own place, but on the flip side it was scary to think about the big responsibility and commitment we had entered into. Kind of like having a new baby. Skye did not like sleeping in her own room and we didn't mind having her with us, so each evening we'd all three snuggle in our bed and pop in Kenny Loggins Return to Pooh Corner. One of Skye's favorite songs was Tooralorah. She'd hum along as she nestled her sweet head on my shoulder.

Before she was born I had purchased a little light show toy for her nursery. It was a small dome with colorful animals all around it. When you would wind it up and turn out the lights it projected all of the little animals on the ceiling and walls. The dome would slowly turn and the animals would dance through the night much to the delight of my little girl. The three of us spent many an evening watching those dancing animals and humming along to Tooralorah. We felt safe and happy, like three little birds in our nest.

Now, nearly fourteen years later, I sometimes wish I could go back to those evenings. I could snuggle with Skye and watch the animals dancing in the night. We'd hum her favorite tune and all of the big, scary things in the world would be shut out from our safe little nest. As she quickly heads towards adulthood I find myself looking back at the days when she was small. Oh how simple and lovely they were. The world was bright and beautiful to her and every day held new discovery and adventure. She was loved by all and she spent her days dancing and singing.

Time goes by so quickly and before we know it an entire season of our life is gone.
As I write this tonight I am quietly humming Tooralorah. I'm sure as my eyes flutter to sleep my dreams will be filled with dancing animals.

12 comments:

  1. What wonderful memories. I sometimes wish I could transport myself back to moments like the ones you shared.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet! I love how songs can bring on so many special memories.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the 2nd post I've read today that reminds me to enjoy my little girls while they are little.....that there is always time for rest later! Thanks for sharing your memory and reminding me to enjoy this season of my life, because you are right, it will be gone before I know it. It's already going by way too fast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Misty, Welcome to Wednesday's Walk! It's fun to have you join us.

    Your post made me feel a little bit of longing...I still have little ones, but I also have older ones and the days of having only little ones were certainly sweet days. Not better - more stressful in some ways, but there was definitely a certain charm and beauty to those days. Days when you are everything to your children and you live in little kid land - where all of your entertainment is geared towards them and all of your conversation is with them...as a parent you live your life as a protector and playmate to them. Those were fun days.

    Life goes too fast. Your post was a great reminder to cherish each day...each stage...each moment we have with those we love.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your post was good. Thanks for joining us today. One of my little girls is the Lynnette that started Weds. Walk and the one who wrote the comment previous to mine. Here she is all grown up and she has had 9 babies of her own. (Three of them are in heaven now)
    Time flies by so quickly!

    My post today is about Motherhood. I hope you will visit my blog and read my poem!
    Thanks!
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a lovely blog, and a beautiful story, Misty! I had a lengthy comment for you and somehow lost it just now. It's late so I will just thank you for mentioning my blog in your Wednesday Walk post and hope to visit you again and learn more about your life as we travel!

    Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet!! :) Remind me to slow down and enjoy Cole every day when he gets here!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. VIsiting from SITS. That post brought tears to my eyes. Time does pass much too quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you so much for the very nice comment you left on my blog!!!

    What sweet memories! They grow up too quickly. I sometimes wish go back in time and have one day with my kids when they were little. I miss that time!

    I love Kenny Loggins too! I used to have a lot of cassettes back in the day. I really need to get a few of his CDs! I saw him in concert once it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved this post. I miss the days of everything tiny and silly. I don't think I realized how much I would when living in it.

    I read your bio page, and I LOVE Johnny Depp too!!!!!!!! OOOOOh, LA-LA.
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  11. Misty,

    Those pictures were taken at Barnsley Gardens in Adairsville, GA. If you ever want me to take your family photos I would LOVE to!

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a wonderful post, and sweet memory. I listened to the same CD when my kids were small. Forgot about it, and will look for it today.

    Love this ideas for Wednesdays. I think I'll join the fun.
    Have a great day.
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete